Your dog lounges on the couch with you and exercises with you, so why not have Fido join you on your boat as well? If you’re an avid boater and dog enthusiast, it’s beneficial to choose a dog that was bred to be on the water. Many non-water dogs will get nervous on a boat, but picking the right companion—with strong swimming skills and a fearless attitude—makes boating adventures more fun (and safer!) for both of you. Consider the following breeds.
- Labrador Retriever: Labs, the most popular family dog, were bred for hunting waterfowl. These sturdy dogs are powerful swimmers and they can’t seem to stay out of the water.
- Golden Retriever: The second most popular family dog, Goldens love swimming and have also been used for hunting waterfowl.
- Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever: These medium-sized dogs, also used for hunting waterfowl, have bounding energy for games of fetch in the water.
- Chesapeake Bay Retriever: Bred from Newfoundlands, these dogs have a double coat of fur that naturally repels water, along with webbed paws.
- Poodle: Poodles aren’t just for dog shows. These natural swimmers are highly intelligent, easily trained and were bred as water retrievers.
- Portuguese Water Dog: These medium-sized dogs were bred to herd fish into fishermen’s nets, carry messages to other ships and retrieve fishing equipment.
- Spanish Water Dog: This high-energy breed has a strong herding instinct, making them a great choice for a fisherman’s assistant.
- Newfoundland: These large dogs are well-known for their work in water rescue. Bred to pull in fishnets, Newfoundlands love spending time in the water.
- Irish Water Spaniel: The largest of the spaniels, these dogs were bred to work in the water. Their webbed paws make them great swimmers.
- English Setter: A family favorite, these dogs require a large dose of daily activity and love spending time in the water.
- Irish Setter: Similar to the English Setter, these dogs also have lots of energy to burn and enjoy swimming.
- Schipperke: This small, scruffy breed, casually known as “Belgian barge dogs,” was bred for controlling pests on boats, making them very comfortable in and around the water.
Protect your family and furry friends while on the water. Call Amco & Remco Insurance at (800) 282-2000 for more information on Austin boat insurance.